Sunday, November 25, 2012

Organizing By The Letter: J is for Jewellery!



J is for Jewellery.    


I don’t know about you, but I really love Jewellery.   I do not have much, but what I do have I really like.   I have some that was my mother’s, some that my kids have given to me, some that my husband has gifted to me, and even some that I have had since childhood.   One of my favourite childhood pieces is a charm bracelet that has the Ten Commandments link all the way around.   Several of the charms have gone missing (my parent`s would tell you I just removed the commandments I was not too fond of ) but I still love that little bracelet and will keep it for my grandchildren


Jennifer, why all the “way too much information”?    Well, I really want you to understand that I am not saying throw all your jewellery away or donate things that mean a lot to you.   Even though I will never wear the little charm bracelet, I want to be able to pass it to my grandchildren – my daughters can toss it in the trash if they wish but for me, I just cannot do it!


So, let us move on to de-cluttering and finding storage solutions for our Jewellery.   We embark on our Jewellery Adventures just as we do it just like everything else: 

1.    Sort: Put all the earring together, all the bracelets together, all the necklaces together, all the rings together and then look at each one.

Do all your earrings have mates, do they need backs, are the broken – do they turn your skin     green or cause infections?   Are any of the necklaces broken?  Are they worth having repaired?  If they are worth having repaired, put a time and date in your planner to take care of this.

2.     Purge: Toss any broken costume jewellery (any broken gold or silver can be sold to one of the many gold buyers in North America wherever you live). 


3.     Donate:  Any pieces that are in good condition but you no longer like, pack them up in baggies and donate them to Salvation Army or Goodwill.


4.    Store: Look at the pieces you are keeping and think about the best way to store them.        

   Don't run out and buy any thing new without thinking about what you have now, what you might really need and what the best solutions for you might be.

    I really like long necklaces and they never fit into a jewellery box – I use a simple “Command” type hanger on the back of my bedroom door.    
    For my rings and earrings, I use ice cubes trays from the dollar store to keep them organized in the top drawer of my dresser.   Bracelets sit in small boxes.  My entire Jewellery storage system maybe cost me $30.00 - and that is erring on the high-side.



Here are a storage options for you to consider:   

Ahhh Umbra, always the coolest ideas!    This one hangs in your closet and you can see through the pockets.   Hang some clothing over the top to protect against theft  - or teenage daughters - whichever comes first!

This is a big investment solution for your jewellery from The Bombay Company.   Visit Bombay.ca to learn more.

I use ice cube trays from the dollar store but the above organizer is a little fancier and has larger compartments.
I use a simple hook like this to hang my long necklaces from. Attached inside a closet or on the back of a door, it works great and is extremely cost effective. 



As you can see, storing your jewellery can be an expensive endeavor or a thrifty one, it is totally your choice?

·       Visit us on Facebook and let us know what your favourite Jewellery storage solution is.   You will also be able to receive our Daily `Take 5`Organizing Task. “Take 5” challenges are posted Monday-Friday as well as other organizing tip and treats.

·        Our monthly newsletter launched at the beginning of November.   Subscription is free so please visit our website and subscribe to receive the December issue.  We are going to have an “Ask The Organizer” section in upcoming issues – to ask a question, simply email us and put “Ask The Organizer” in the subject line.

I If you are looking for a more personalized organizing solution, subscribe to our new program Minute-By-Minute Organizing to receive personalized service and plans created just for your needs.