Monday, August 30, 2010

CAR STUFF - MY RECIPE CHAOS TAKES A TURN

While on my way to clearing up my cookbooks and recipe collection....and I was making fine progress - thank you very much...  I got a phone call and one of my kiddies decided it would be an adventure to crash our car into a telephone post.   Now please understand that I am completely grateful to God that she is fine, that her friends are fine.  In a weird way I am grateful that she crashed the new car rather than the older, smaller and with not so many safety features car.  



We bought the new car in red since we had a new driver and wanted her to be seen and safe.  We ensured it had extra reinforcements down the sides in-case of a side impact, it had front and side airbags - we bought it specifically as a "just in case" car.   Well, "just in case" happened and while it was upsetting for me as a Mum to know "my baby" had been in a crash, she had left home armed with her insurance papers, her license, ownership and her auto club card.  She had all the tools at hand to help her deal with the crash which - was out of province and 3 hours away from me at the time.

The other great thing was, when she got home, she had written down all the information from the police and insurance -  so follow up was easy.

We pulled the insurance file, which thankfully was in order and got that set up - we did need to find the original purchase agreement for the car since it is a total write off and while my heart stopped for a moment thinking that I did not know where it was...when I opened the Mazda file, there it was...phew! 

All the small organizational steps that I have taken to keep paperwork in order, all the small checks and balances when my daughter was leaving for her trip, made a bad and stressful situation much easier for all of us.  

Check your insurance files and make sure they are in order.   Do you have home, auto and life insurance?  Are your files labelled and papers in the correct folders?    In a crisis, your brain will be sluggish, check these things now - the calm before the storm is when your emergency planning should occur.   Take time this week to ensure your papers are in order and that your wallet contains everything you would need to provide to the police or a paramedic in case of an accident.   Even if you think your insurance files are in order - check them again.   This should not take you more than 15 minutes.  

If you need to get insurance - make that all today!

Need some personalized organizing assistance?   Subscribe today to our Moment-By-Moment Organizing Program and you will receive the help you  need!